Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Annavaram Sundial

I did not get to see the beauty of the way as it was in the dark that I reached there. But the sunlight opened alleys to such beautiful sight! Pleasant sceneries. The waters around…. It was a visual retreat. I had been there to the shrine.  It was more chaos for me to digest. Though the place was having an impact on me, I am sorry to mention, the pandit there, responsible for performing the sachinarayana vratam (believed to be a ritual to bless us with goodies) was irritated for some reason and started shouting at another pandit. The sacredness is lost. May be they are at work every day and so frustration at times ….. Just happens.
Once out of the temple that had nice architecture, I could see “goshala” (cow shed) this was good and peaceful to see. Well planned to get us thinking of Krishna. Its simple yet thoughtful. I am sorry, no good pictures of it but it had Lord Kishna’s idol with a flute. In the middle and a circular space for the cows. The idol was such that the feet of Krishna was at the height of the cows. They cleaned it regularly to minimize the odor.  And space to go around it. If there is a “Tulasi Van” (a garden of Basil) around this. It should have added more beauty. My affinity for tulasi van dates back to my childhood days when I mischievously got between tulasi plants bulky than me.  A feel of freshness or the fragrance … I don’t know what could buy it a frame in my mind. 
Just beside this there is a small space dedicated to Krishna again. This is not maintained now but my eyes could see it. Glimpse into the historically popular epics that I read and heard as a kid.

And finally I was at the sundial that would make sense to everyone irrespective of religious faith. Not that it’s a wonder but, it deserves Kudos. This is a concept we all studied. But to design one with accuracy is a great effort. The time is accurate to minutes. This sundial deserves popularity but I didn’t even know its existence till I had been there. Aghast! We miss so much beauty just because there is a religious curtain that we are lazy to look behind. Let’s try to push up the curtains such that it shall look beautiful and fence it with appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment